Mindfulness isn't just for Buddhists

When I first discovered Mindfulness, I was in the midst of a very stormy part of my life. This was probably the hardest time to try to learn how to be Mindful, yet the most important. With waves of anxiety crashing down on me, eruptions of tears and the deafening thoughts coming at the speed of light how in the world does someone block all of that out and just "be"?

The answer is simple: Just do it, try it, fail at it and try again and again. Eventually it becomes so much easier to do. It gives peace and even pleasure at times. I haven't read any studies on it, but my guess would be that it even excites the dopamine levels in our brains.

When I realize that things are getting out of control and chaos has ensued, I stop. I literally stop in my tracks (which is not necessary) and "look" at where I am, and I breathe. I notice any smells that might be lingering, sounds in the background, or the temperature of the air, and try to focus on just that moment. No other thoughts are allowed. Practicing Mindfulness is almost like seeing yourself outside of your body. It doesn't matter where you are or who's around. It can be done anywhere.

To help you start this process I've come up with a list of  "5 Tips for Practicing Mindfulness" below as well as some links to other great sites that I highly suggest you check out. Mindfulness is a secret tool to counter anxiety. You sure don't have to call yourself a Buddhist, which is where the practice of Mindfulness comes from, but it doesn't take a neurorocketsurgeon to figure out they clearly have much lower levels of stress.

In fact, they have peace.





"5 Tips for Practicing Mindfulness"

1.) First become aware of your breathing: How is it flowing? Notice the rise and fall of your chest or diaphragm. Is the air cool or warm? How fast, how deep are you breathing?
Just notice it and feel it. You may notice your breathing starts to get slower and deeper, or you may not. Just be aware of it. Try to even imagine inhaling a peaceful color (I use sky blue) and then exhaling your stress.

2.) Your thoughts are just thoughts: Recognize intruding or passing thoughts, acknowledge them and then let them pass by. They don't need your attention at this time.

3.) Act deliberately and slowly: During whatever task it is you have on your plate at the time. Move through it with intention and purpose. For example: "I'm washing the dishes. The water feels warm on my hands, I notice the way the soap smells. Clean is good."

4.) Three words: Come up with three words that describe where you are, what you're doing, focus in on your senses.

5.) Notice your posture: Are you tense, tight, slouched, standing, sitting. Make yourself more physically comfortable.

Here's a few links that I want to share on Mindfulness that are really helpful.

Mindfulness Practice

Mindfulness Exercises

Mindfulness Meditation Youtube Video

No comments:

Post a Comment